Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Holy Rabbits!

We have a little ritual here at Riverbend...the humans eat dinner, clean up, feed the dogs, turn on the yard lights, make some noise to scare off coyotes and bobcats, then head out to the dog yard for romp and business session.  Works well, runs smoothly...that is until tonight!

I opened the door to the yard, and immediately saw what was going to make my life difficult...a rabbit inside the fence and loose cardigans!  Russ spots it first and takes off after the little bugger.  The rabbit runs and smokes itself on the fence.  Russ is close but the bunny regroups and heads across the yard.  (Meanwhile to know avail I am bellowing..."RUSS LEAVE IT!")  Once again the cotton tail smokes itself on the fence.  Apparently the green wire is invisible to rabbits too.  Ruffles and Music are now teaming to bring the game home.  CRAP!  All I can envision is blood, fur and wrangling the carcass out of someones mouth...probably Ruff Ruff.

Mr. Rabbie makes one more run at the fence and gets to his shoulders and is STUCK!  I elevated my crap comment to #$%^!  I made a run for the fence in an attempt to beat the dogs and protect...well let's face it, me from having to clean up a huge mess.  Of course, Ruff made it first but just then Rabbie made it through the fence link!

Stupid Rabbit...I bet he won't be visiting Riverbend again any time soon.  I guess it turns out we aren't that hospitable to rabbits!

1 comment:

Taryn said...

We have that happen in our yard quite often! The rabbit always wins, thank goodness. But the way I see it, if the bunny loses the race, whoever catches it will have a tasty dinner! That way, no mess to clean up ;-)

Bunnies aren't very smart either. On more than one occasion, they have built their nest inside the fence somewhere. Sadly, the babies have little hope of reaching adulthood.