Monday, August 3, 2009

Angels Among Us

Well we are home safe and sound. New tire, rim was salvageable, electrical cord however is still walking wounded.

So here is the rest of the story... I was driving merrily down the road singing my heart out to an oldies station, when I noticed a big white pick up truck flagging me down. Now I was driving the Double Shot (42ft of bus plus the Malibu in tow) on a two lane road without any shoulder. My first was where am I going to get this monster off the road but this young couple were quite insistent that I pull over immediately. So I edged two wheels off the road and the white truck pulled behind me.

A very nice young woman...Kimberly Taylor...came around the window side and said I had blown a tire and something was burning. "Oh my goodness...that's not good", I said as I jumped out of the coach. I got to the back and found her husband Branden assessing the damage. He said he heard the tire go, and got me to stop as quickly as he could. I thanked him profusely!

My next thought was okay time to call Coach net and get somebody out here to change the tire and hope that the other one holds together until I get to the next town. But alas, I didn't have any cell service and neither did the lovely young couple.

That's when Branden said he could change the tire. Wow how nice is that! So while we had traffic essentially blocked in one lane he was went to town on the tire which was still hot and smoking.

It was while he was changing the tire I noticed his license plate--wounded veteran. I asked if he was the veteran to which his reply was yes ma'am. I thanked him for his service and his sacrifice.

He finished in a jiffy, I tried to hand him some money but he adamantly refused. Then we both drove off.

So yes, after a few weeks of having my faith in people badly shaken, I was blessed with meeting two angels along the road. So thanks to both of you--my faith is restored in the wonderful nature of humankind.

3 comments:

Winjammin' said...

So glad you had a pair of angels looking out for you. I guess it also shows one just how special our servicemen and women are to sacrifice so much in their service to their country, but also to selflessly sacrifice their "down time" to assist others in need.

Thank you Branden (and Kimberly) from one vet to another...Hooah, Semper Fi, Anchors Aweigh, and Aim High...for not only your sacrifice, but also for your time and efforts to take care of a dear friend.

penni said...

When something like that happens, it really restores our faith in the people around us. Thanks for talking about it.

Dawn said...

Glad you made it home safely!