Saturday, November 14, 2009

Don't Kiss The Puppy!

Rainbow is her Daddy's puppy to be sure! When Russ was little he loved nothing better than finding a smelly fish on the shore of the great Mississippi River and roll in it until I physically picked him up and moved him along.

We don't spend as much time right on the shores of the river right now so Rainbow had to find her own smelly yucky stuff to cavort in. For dear little Rainbow it is dead rotting voles. I swear that dog can put her nose to the ground and come up with a dead animal in seconds.

First she dug one out of the pond. I saw her running with something in her mouth that didn't look much like one of the famed toys we have purchased for her Cardigan pleasure. And as Kathy is going to train this puppy I hadn't worked on "leave it" and "drop it"! Fortunately for me, Russ was quite willing to take it from her, and he has a rock solid "drop it".

Once I had the disgusting vermin isolated from the Cardis I found myself in another pickle. I was in the middle of the yard and an implement with which to dispose of the thing was in the shed. With not a chance of maintaining control if I left to get the shovel, I rooted around in the leaves and found a passable stick.

While the thing was flying over the fence, I thought, "there that is taken care of." Only problem was the puppy had a second one... And yes, we essentially repeated the entire performance, only this time I had a stick ready to go.


1 comment:

Sherilyn said...

ROFL!!! I am picturing this in my mind...too funny!! Isn't it amazing what these little four legged darlings can dig up? Geesh! Have fun! ;)