Sunday, November 15, 2009

Teach Recall and Hug Your Dog.

Accidents happen. Accidents happen in a split second. Sometimes, including today, the difference between life and death, is instant reaction to your commands. Today Ella and Shaker are alive because of that. So what happened?

The dogs and I were out playing in the back yard. This happens every day many times a day, but today was just a little bit different. When it was time to go in the house, I opened the door and Ella and Shaker bounded up the stairs. Nothing new there, except today I saw the garage door was opened and I heard a car running.

I quickly commanded the other 3 (although the puppy just went along ) to "get back." They did immediately and I closed the door and was up the stairs pronto. One might even suggest that I made the top of the stairs faster than I had since I was an in shape teenager! I yelled STOP, but the car kept moving backwards. I SCREAMED STOP as I made the back of the car. Ella's head was about 8"from the tire. She was trying to figure out what I wanted from her. She astutely figured out I wanted her to get away from the car, and she bolted up the driveway. (Oh Shaker had already made the crest of the driveway and was headed for the bright lights of New York!)

Okay the dogs were clear of the car. So then I went into puppy fun mode. I joyfully sang out Ella Bella, Shakey Bakey Come! Ella turned on a dime and ran at me like a missile driven bullet. The joy of watching my dog heading toward me at rocket speed was unmeasurable. But I still had Shaker on the loose. Well it was 10 seconds into Ella running toward me that Shaker decided that the bright lights of New York wouldn't be much fun without his cohort in crime and he too came bounding down the driveway.

The entire incident was over in less than 2 mins, but the fear, adrenaline and joy will live in my muscles for at least a week!

This part of the post is purely for Ella. For all my complaining about her slow recall today when it really mattered she had rocket recall. I am sorry for ever doubting her. Now Shaker on the other hand, I have long bragged about his beautiful recall. Turns out when the chips were down, he easily could have had other plans. So tomorrow, Shaker is in recall Boot Camp!

Hug your dogs and teach recall!

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I was not driving. I heard the commotion from our bedroom and came running out.
Kathy

Sharrie said...

Glad for the happy ending and another reason to work on being sure the dogs will come when I call them.

Sherilyn said...

Yikes! So glad they both listened to you (ok, Shaker a little slower, but he did come!) so this had a happy ending. Too scary! Hugs to all and we'll give ours an extra squeeze. Things can happen too quickly!

P.S. I love the new kennel name! So appropriate! :)