Friday, January 27, 2012

Musings of a Demented ...Corgi owner!

Yesterday, I picked up a Dremel and started the grueling exercise of nail trimming.  Rainbow simply groaned the entire time.  Shaker was a bear!  He tried to leap off the grooming table, shook his foot and generally created a wrestling match.  Which leads me to why I was so weakened when I picked up Ella's back foot.  She wiggled and giggled but I got the back foot done.  Feeling empowered I moved forward.  At which point she shook and flicked my hand off like I was a fly.  Unfortunately, I dropped the Dremel on the concrete floor where it was scittering around like a fish seeking water!  And Ella simply looked smug! 

I successfully finished up the Dremel experience this morning while I was fresh and STRONG!  So again feeling empowered, I decided that today was the day, Russ and I would get back to business on training for the performance ring. 

Yes, it has been a long time as I had to recover from the wildly humiliating ring experiences that occurred in 2009, when he peed twice in the ring! YESH!!!

So I filled my pockets with treats, nabbed a leash, Russ and headed outside.   Before we got to the end of the driveway, he decided that cars were far more interesting than me.  No worries, I was ready for that one.  I increased my fun quotient and he was back to me.  He remembered his heeling at different speeds!  Imagine my surprise!  But, of course, he wanted to watch my feet and not look at me.  He wasn't the least bit interested in any of the food I had in my pocket, so it was almost impossible to get him to raise his head.   (Who ever heard of a non food motivated corgi?)  Anyway, I upped my "fun" "good dogs" when he even so much as gave me a glance, but this is going to be a process!  Now you would think that I would have quit while I was marginally ahead, but NOOOO, we were half mile from the house.

So I decided to move to sit/stay while I walk around him.  He completely ignored sit!  He gave me his now legendary, "I don't get it" look.  When I finally got him to "sit", he was rock solid on stay and walk around.   But what was the deal with no "sit"?    I tried several more times on our walk and if he decided to pay attention he would "down".  Obviously this is going to take some more work. 

Earlier training picture.
Well tomorrow is another day.  Stay tuned for more training musings!

5 comments:

Liz said...

I've most definitely heard of a non-food motivated corgi, and his name is MAX!! Thanks Dad!

bestfriend said...

thanks..
best regards,
sejarah sma kelas 12

linksitusfun88 said...

mantap gan infonya dan salam sukses selalu

livehktercepat said...

bagus bos artikelnya dan sangat menarik

pokervita said...

makasih gan buat infonya dan semoga bermanfaat