Sunday, December 13, 2009

Christmas, Christmas and more Christmas...

Okay the first thing I tell people who ask me about Cardigans is...(drum roll please)... You have to keep them engaged or they will find something to engage themselves. Yeah well guess who forgot the first rule of Cardidom? Yeah me. Here's the backdrop...

Russ loves Christmas. Oh he really loves Christmas. Let me review a few of the incidents:
  • He found all the wrapped presents and in a matter of 3 minutes unwrapped and untied no less than 15 presents. (He was so sticky he had to have a bath!)
  • Removed and ate the entire bottom 1/3 of the ornaments on the tree
  • Brought untold damage to the Santa collection--one was demolished to toothpicks!
  • Made a pile of straw out of my Swedish Christmas goat.
  • Embarked on a invasion of the Christmas village and left a swath of destruction that rivaled Sherman's march on the south.

Okay I think I have made my point. So this year, Kathy and I thought we were going to outfox the Cardigans (especially Ruff Ruff.) So we did Christmas heavy in the living room and dining room and Christmas lite (or should I say decorations above Corgi height) everywhere else. After accomplishing this goal, I was feeling very smug, and assured of the safety of my decorations.

Now on a usual night of the year, we spend our evenings in the sitting area of our bedroom. But with all the lights, wreaths, village and such in the living room, we decided to spend our evenings up front. Remember my earlier warning about engaging Cardigans or they will find ways to engage themselves?

First they decided to use the hallway for unspeakable acts of defecation. But when this trick failed to amuse them anymore, they joined forces and convinced the baby puppy Rainbow to slide through the banister and push the stair gate back. Once the gate was moved the basement and cat chasing became fair game! Rube Goldberg would be pleased at the contraption we developed to keep Rainbow from going through the banister. (How much longer until she is too big to fit through the banister?)

So with this operation a failure, Ella decided to show everyone how to leap over the living room gate! Yep I caught her red mouthed with one of the ornaments Nick made in the second grade. Well let's just say it didn't survive!

So here I sit in the bedroom sitting area wondering if I give in and let them come into the living room in the evening? Or if I just accept defeat early and spend December in front of the bedroom fireplace? Decisions, decisions...

No comments: