Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Herding Instinct

National Specialty Story 2:

I decided to throw caution to the wind and have Russ evaluated for his herding instinct.  It was a COLD and RAINY day at the herding trial, so I must also admit that I didn't think Russ would do a darn thing.  You see my pretty boy doesn't like to get dirty or wet.  

But after he got over that woman in the funky rain cowboy hat with the STERN look, he was all over those goats.  I couldn't believe my eyes or ears for that matter when the other herding woman was saying things like--sustained interest, strong drive, some regrouping...

Then the other herding person said catch him.  Catch him?  Are you kidding me?  Have I ever mentioned I have a broken bone in my leg? Catch him? Yeah right.  So I raised my voice to call him off, for which I got a STERN--"Don't ever call him off stock!"  Then she raises her voice and says, "I said CATCH HIM."  Okay I think--this could take all week.

After much ado, I finally step on his lead and reel him in.  I picked up a very happy Russ and limped to the truck.  Catch him!  Are you kidding me. That's why I taught recall!

No comments: