Thursday, June 11, 2009

Back Yard Antics

My morning routine begins with making coffee and wishing the drip would happen faster. No not so that I could get my first hit of caffeine (although a good guess) but so Russ will shut up. Now why on earth would Russ bark at me while the coffee is brewing? Well because he knows that as soon as I pour a cup, he and the other clowns get to go "Outside Fence."

So with a coffee in my left hand and Ella on my right hip we descend the steps to "Outside Fence." As soon as the door opens they rush it, and Russ hits mach 10 in 15 steps while Ella and Shaker are in hot pursuit. In quick order one of them cuts Russ off at the pass which really torques him off. Immediately he is in hot pursuit of well usually Shaker.

Now Shaker knows that the instant that Russ catches him he is going to get rolled, so being the smart boy that he is--he makes a beeline for one of the pools. I would like to say that the pool is home free but the fact of the matter is that Russ wouldn't be caught dead in the swimming pool.

So once this game is played a few times, Shaker turns his attention to Ella. Ella is a feisty creature who is not going to take any bologna off a boy, but Shaker has figured out how to make her roll. Now not the kind of submissive your top dog roll that I see between Shaker and Russ but a real live roll down the hill.

So this roll thing happens like this--Shaker comes at her from the side and if he catches her before she spins on a dime, he gets his big ole nose under her middle and then she literally rolls down the hill. Now trust me this really honks off the puppy and she comes up all teeth and mouth. Before you know it she catches up with Shaker and is telling him off while digging her puppy teeth into the side of his neck.

Oh yes "Outside Fence" is quite entertaining.

3 comments:

penni said...

I can see it in my mind's eye -- and laughed out loud. It's lucky I work alone (well, except for Chase who isn't at all bothered by laughing).

Winjammin' said...

And Music sits on her throne and watches the whole thing unfold with that air of, "I'm the queen" about her and thoughts of Boo kissing her dancing in her brain ;o)

Sharrie said...

Like Penni said, I also laughed out loud and had to read your description to my husband. I understand the rolling now that I have seen my puppy do it. It is quite an art form.