Thursday, March 5, 2009

Good Dog Ruff Ruff

I was pressed for time today so I decided to walk Russ in our neighborhood. Yes our neighborhood with its darn invisible fences.  I would never walk the puppy or Shaker in our "quiet little protected neighborhood," but well Russ is older and not quite as impressionable as the babies.

So we set out the front door, and immediately came upon 2 labs who, of course, charged their "fence".  Russ whined a little and I said "leave it." He marched right on by.  Good Dog!

Next house--a boxer and a lab came charging right through the fence.  I bent down and put my arm across Russ shoulder, and said mine.  The Boxer retreated, as the owner came outside.  She apologized.  My reply, "I accept your apology but it isn't the first time that it has happened. Please keep your dogs inside unless you can supervise them."  Ruff Ruff never even winced.

About 1/4 of a mile later, we reach the house with the Aussie and a Golden.  These dogs are seriously nasty dogs--barking and growling.  I said "leave it" and we marched on.  Good Dog!

As we approached the St. Bernard's I knew they would be outside, so I warned Russ to "leave it."  He turned his head and never even flinched as we walked by these barking growling dogs. Good Dog!

I am so grateful for my wonderful dog, but I am equally sure that each of these dogs could be good dogs too.  Except for the confusing signals that those *&^% invisible fences give off.  The dogs aren't sure where their space ends thus the charging of the fence only to get zapped.  The other issue is they know they can't leave the "enclosure" but anyone else can enter without reprisal.  How horribly confusing for those dogs!  I hold each of their owners responsible for creating Bad Dogs!  And don't even get me started on leaving those dogs out all day to fend for themselves.

No comments: