Thursday, March 5, 2009

Great Day

I loaded Ella, my own version of a drama queen, and Shaker into my new dog mobile and headed out for some socializing.  Our first stop was River Pup and Ella was wonderful. She played with Olive the Frenchie and awwwed the store owner.  I didn't take Shaker in because he isn't ready for loose dogs.

Then on to PetsMart.  Shaker went straight for the fish, as per our agreement.  We met up with an employee I hadn't seen in a long time, and she mistook my big puppy for Ruff Ruff.  I chuckled and told her it was my new puppy Shaker.  He loved him up and then we went on a walk.  He still is freaked out by new dogs, so I was careful to keep the right distance.  But as fate would have it a little poodle something came around the corner--way to close for Shaker's comfort.   We moved away and I gave him an ear and cheek rub, and he calmed almost immediately.  I the past he would have kept barking and growling.  Good dog!

Then I brought Ella in and tried the leash thing again.  Progress always must be measured in small steps.  If I had food right in front of her nose she would walk with the lead on, but oh my aching back from the bending over.  So I ended up on my knees scooting backwards with the treat in hand.  Yep it was quite a sight.  Ella also  met 2 more dogs and at least 4 more people. She loved the Havanese Poodle designer dog. (Don't get me started on designer dogs!)

I returned home with 2 tired puppies and leashed up Ruff Ruff for a good long walk at the river. We clocked 3 miles and we were both happy campers.

Oh it was a great day!

No comments: