Sunday, February 3, 2008

Corgi Capers a Review






Well its Super Bowl Sunday, and everyone in my house is engaged in the game. So I decided to take a few minutes and write a brief review of some of Russ' more notable Corgi Capers.

It all began when we realized he was a Cardi Corgi thief. Bones, toys, sneakers and brand new Sherling slippers—are all capers my little corgi thief has been a party too. He sneaks in, distracts or just waits until chaos reigns and then BAM he goes in for kill. He’s doesn’t seem to be interested in chewing the shoes, slippers or toys only the crafty removal from their rightful owner! Now the bones and dogs toys he removes from Sara’s (the big dog) possession are another story. One of our most common out cries of late is, “the corgi thief has struck again!”

Then came Christmas...We pride ourselves in this house for being great modifiers. We can modify a game, a room, a schedule, toys---you name it and with an kid who’s autistic in the house one gets pretty fast at it. So we thought, hey modifying things for a puppy should be a breeze. I went to take a shower and I always take Russ upstairs with me and put him on the king size bed with some toys and treats. He doesn’t like to jump so him escaping has never been an issue. However he does pride himself in squeezing through the iron bed bars and sitting on the cedar chest. Today without even thinking I left a basket of folded towels next to the chest. He squeezed out to the chest, jumped into the basket of towels and made his escape. Into the forbidden Christmas wrapping room he goes. I came out of the shower, peeked around the corner to check on him, hear rustling from the other room and go to investigate. I find my darling little Russ in a big pile of wrapping paper, boxes, bows, tissue paper and unwrapped presents. In no less than 15 minutes he unwrapped and opened about 15 presents---I think a world record! I am pleased to report I got what I wanted for Christmas!

Our once beautifully decorated tree looked like something from a refugee camp. My mother in law said we should enter it in the Festival of Trees as the “Puppy Proof Tree”. Lights wound up and stuffed to the center, ornaments only covering the top 2/3rd , not a present in sight. Last night the little bugger busted into his stocking—we came into the family room and found him with the entire contents of his stocking laid out on the floor like a yard sale. He has ripped open his new bone, slobbered all over his stuff toy, and started unwrapping the puppy biscuits. The little guy is crazy for Christmas!

Then the dishwasher... I was loading the dishwasher with morning breakfast plates—omelets, toast and fruit remnants. I observe that the baby desperately needs a diaper change, so off to the changing table I go. When I come back what do my wondering eyes behold but Russ camped out in the dishwasher. He has pulled the bottom grate out and jumped into the main part of the dishwasher and is performing his very own version of “how to rinse dishes in four easy licks”. When I finished laughing at him…I thought how did he do that and how am I going to get him out of the dishwasher without skewering him on the bottom rack. Well I ended up taking the top rack out and lifting him out, but meanwhile he finished his “job” and I didn’t need the first rinse, just the high heat washing cycle! That dog cracks me up daily!

Not to be topped...we had the keyboard incident. I was trying to defrost our slop sink drain at our cottage and I heard a very strange noise. I came around the corner to find my beautiful corgi standing with two paws on the lap top keyboard, and key tabs strewn about. Yep my wonderful Russ had taken 6 keys out of my laptop, replied to at least 2 e-mails (encrypted to be sure), and flagged as high priority several sites.

And the latest...lint caper. Okay here’s the backdrop—my mother-in-law Rose took a seminar in green living and came home with lots more ideas about recycling and conserving. Any way one of the ideas was to collect lint from the dryer and empty toilet paper rolls. Then fill the cardboard rolls with the lint and use them for fire starters. So she has been dutifully collecting and today set about to fill the rolls with lint. She left them in a bag by the fire place. Enter Russ who recognized that we were distracted with dinner. He shredded, pulled, spread, and generally made havoc with those lint filled paper rolls. You have never seen so much lint in every imaginable color and shredded cardboard.

Well off to chase the Corgi...he's a little to quiet right now!

No comments: