Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Herding Cats


Last night at dinner, my mother-in-law said you have to write about Russ and Stinky, and then she said it would even be better if you could add audio. So here goes...unfortunately without audio.

The very day Russ entered our home he decided that it was his duty and responsibility to herd the cats. Now I know a thing or two about herding cats after being in board leadership at a Unitarian Universalist congregation, so I wished him best at his endeavors and pretty much kept out of way. Over the ensuing four months, he has accomplished remarkable success with 3 of the 4 feline residents. However, Stinky (wonder where she got her name) remains a problem.

Here's how it goes...Russ rounds up the cats and ensures they are either on chairs under the table or on the ledge of the bay window then he goes for Stinky. All he has to do is approach Stinky and she starts the most God awful yowling, hissing and screeching you have ever heard (wish we had audio), but Russ is undaunted by this display. He keeps nudging and pushing her in a valiant attempt to move her into submission.

Well my ears can take only so much of this howling and I'll yell from the other room Russ that's enough!

This is where my mother-in-law comes in. As she is recounting the number of times this scenerio plays out daily in the house--dozens to be honest, she says "boy is this going to be a problem when my brother Russ comes to visit". Her brother Russ is a mild mannered sweet tempered man who would never warrant me yelling, "Russ that's enough!" Can you just picture this poor man's reaction the first time I yell over the screeching, "Russ that's enough"? It will probably give the fella anxiety attacks.

No comments: