Monday, September 22, 2008

How Embarrassing?!




I've noted before that Russ is currently skinny, well way too skinny. Our vet was here today and he weighs 29lbs, and he should weigh about 33 or so. She wants me to put 5 lbs on Russ and at least 3 on Music. Well, frankly folks that is easier said than done!


So we decided to try cheap hamburger, cheese, liver sausage, summer sausage...you get the picture. Now it is not like I have this stuff on hand so off to the HyVee I go. I loaded my cart with such delicacies as 73/27 hamburger, shredded full fat cheese, eggs, hot dogs, summer sausage, liver sausage and butter to fry the whole mess up in.


After I checked out and they are bagging these goodies up, the cashier hands me a print out generated by the register that steers me to the American Heart Association web site. This handy dandy little register tape encourages me to use the AHA web site to build a heart healthy grocery list. I tell you what I could have just died of embarrassment! Then I made the mistake of telling her that the food was for my skinny show dog. That was the moment that I got the "you have to be kidding me" look from the HyVee cashier!


Well the picture is of one of Russ' special burgers frying in butter, and my ever present kitchen companion Shaker. FYI--Shaker doesn't need to put on any weight. He is 18.3 lbs. When Russ was his age he weighed 12lbs. My vet says he is not overweight, but she giggled and commented that he was going to be a very big Corgi! Sigh.

No comments: