Thursday, January 29, 2009

Mixed Results

Shaker Baby update.

I have been working with Shaker on Look at That--in our case right now it is a clothes pin because I can pin it any where. He is picking it up quickly but it isn't a strong as "Watch Me" but I felt it was strong enough (75%) to roll out tonight at class.

So we headed into class, and an exuberant Boxer puppy came bounding out and he skidded toward Shaker. It was actually a funny scene except it scared Shaker Baby. And when scared he reacted--barking, growling, and generally acting possessed. So I redirected him away from the scene of the crime, and headed toward the fish. I got him calmed down and then tried a "Look" which he gave me, and we headed toward class again.

Once again I was the last one to arrive even though I was initially 20 mins. early, so I picked up Shaker and headed to our seat. I pinned the clothes pin on my sleeve and and he attended. So far so good right? Well it was good until the Doberman walked by an locked eyes on my baby. Once again he went nuts. I gave him a deep tissue puppy massage and he once again settled.

We went through the exercises and he actually made friends with a cute little lab mix named Sam. All in all, I would say we made some progress but we are far from the target.

At the end of the night, he is the most responsive puppy I have ever had. He picks things up quickly. He offers me great behaviors, and when we get through the reactivity--he will be my go to performance puppy! It will happen!

No comments: