Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Rally Novice


You know the post you dread writing but just know you have to? Well this one is that post for me.

Russ is my boy--darn dog wove his way into my heart very early on. I was convinced that it was not possible for me to have another heart dog so soon after loosing "the best dog that ever walked the face of the earth--Tippy." But along came Russ with all his silliness, nutty capers, and devotion to me that before I knew it he was in my heart and soul.

So having said all that, 'ya know how your own children can frustrate the begebbers out of you even while you are loving them to death. Well let me tell you a little story about my Ruff Ruff and his first trip into the Rally Novice ring.

We had a tight time schedule between the conformation ring and rally, so I notified the obedience steward of the conflict and she pushed me to the end of the class. I raced from the conformation ring, stuffed Russ in a crate while I changed my clothes. Then charged back, changed his lead and collar and off we went to the Rally ring. We got there just in the nick of time. I took a deep breath and told Russ to watch me.

The judge welcomed the Corgi, and asked me if I was ready. Yes. She said forward and we began with a weave. Russ was watching me and actually eager to work. I should probably tell you that Russ loves to compete. He'll blow me off every chance he gets except when something is on the line. We moved through the stations and he was preforming like a trouper.


We finished the last station and headed out of the ring, but we didn't quite clear the FINISH cone. I wasn't watching him at the end but when I heard the crowd groan I knew what he had done--lifted his leg on the cone! The judge says, "that would be wrong." And I said, "yes."


I was so mad at Russ that I didn't say a word to him for the very long walk in heel position back to grooming.


He knew he was in some serious doo doo so he made a point of making up by being a perfect angel with hordes of children the rest of the day. He let children wrench on his neck, ruffle his ears, waggle his tail and feed him tons of treats. So we didn't get a leg on the Rally title but he was a good ambassador for temperament if not obedience!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As an exhibitor with boy dogs, all I can say is that I do not comprehend their fascination with vertical surfaces, BUT I've learned to move very quickly in the ring and getting out of the ring to avoid the message-leaving activity.

I REALLY sympathize because it sounds like he had a great run -- up to the very end.

Anonymous said...

Been there done that but our's was at a match and I don't think the match judge saw it but boy oh boy the OTCH folks were all right there to narc on us :-).

Another day :-)