Saturday, January 17, 2009

One Year Ago


I seldom post about dog show results or anything related to dog shows, but it seemed appropriate to post this. Mostly because it shows what a newbie I am.


One year ago, was Russ' first dog show, and my first dog show. I was completely overwhelmed by the whole thing. I had read Dog Show for Dummies, and a couple of other newbie books in an attempt to understand a little bit. But everything I read turned to mush the instant I walked into the IA State Fairgrounds.


Russ was very shy and I didn't know if he would like the whole dog show thing. I also knew that Cindy would not push him if he didn't like to show. I was willing to try because I knew that Cindy put the dog ahead of everything. This was and is very important to me and one of the many reasons that I respect her and have come to love her and her whole darn family! Well the first day came and he picked up a best puppy and a puppy group 2. He appeared to be enjoying himself so I thought, "okay we will go back for the second day." What Cindy doesn't know was that if he didn't like the dog show thing that I was going to head home with my pet puppy! Well he liked it and we went back to the hotel room to take a nap. This was only supposed to be a short nap so that we could meet other Corgi people at a chili supper. Well I slept through the whole darn thing.


The next day, Russ saw that we were back at the Fairgrounds, and strutted into the building like he was King Tut. I spotted Cindy who took one look at Russ and said, " I think we have created a monster." Yes we did. Russ loves the show ring and has a blast showing in "Russ style." He barks when he feels like it, pees when he feels like it, and well you get the picture.


Anyway, back to my one year ago report. The second day, an Ibizan Hound breeder, Alisa, took pity on my poor poor pitiful self and helped me out ring side. She explained the classes, and gave me a blow by blow account of what was happening. Here's a bit of what it sounded like-- "Russ is going in for the puppy dog class 6-9 months. Okay. He won his puppy dog class so now he will go back in for winners dog. Okay. They have finished the classes so now all the dogs who won their classes will go back in for winners dog. Okay. Then I ask if this is where points are awarded." (see a real newbie) Then Alisa says, he just won winners dog. I said, "what?" She explains without any sarcasm. And says now the specials will go in and best of winners and breed will be chosen. Specials? What are specials? She explains again very sweetly. Then she hoots, "he just took best of winners and BREED!" I asked, "WHAT?" Her reply, "it means he is a really special little puppy, and it would be appropriate to cry!" I did!

Well here it is one year later, and I have 3 Cardigans. Sherilyn was right they are just like potato chips--"you just can't have one!"

2 comments:

Joy said...

I need someone to do this for me. I just pretend to know what's going on. But it wouldn't be as nerve racking as when you have a dog in the ring.

Kathy and Kim Gibson said...

Joy,

I would be happy to sit ring side with the pemmies and talk you through.

In a year, I have at least figured out the progression of classes. Not much more but at least the classes.

Kim