Sunday, November 23, 2008

Where's the Stock?

Daily I add broth to the dogs food to entice them to eat all of their food. Well with the price of food only going up, I decided I would start making the stock.

So I threw some beef bones, carrots, celery and tons of garlic to a huge stock pot full of water, and started cooking it. About 7 hours later, I took it off the fire and skimmed out the veggies and beef bones. Then I set it out in the cold cold garage to bring the fat to the top.

The next morning, I skimmed the fat and used a couple of ladles full for Shaker's breakfast. (Shaker ate later than the rest because we have puppy class on Saturday morning.) Well I got distracted with something and when I went back to the kitchen to finish taking care of my prized stock I couldn't find it. So I asked my family if they had seen the stock. My mother-in-law gasped and said, "I threw it out and washed the pot." "Why?", I ask. Her reply, "I didn't know what it was." Gasp!

So I salvaged some more beef bones from a steak, and will give it another whirl on Monday. Sigh!

2 comments:

coopercreek said...

ohhh, bummer!

Joy said...

Trekker & Shiloh here--Would you tell our Mom that she should make that too? Cooking just doesn't seem to be her thing. You have lucky Cardi kids!