Sunday, December 14, 2008

My Turn for Humble Pie

Remember I announced earlier that I had signed Russ up for Rally Novice A--first leg? Well let's just say I cut my loses before I ever entered the Rally ring.

We showed early on Saturday, and Russ was a little, no let's be honest, he was a lot wound up. (Of course it didn't help that Shaker went postal, but that's another blog post and Russ is very in tune with those around him.) Any way, after he showed in the conformation ring, I put him in his crate to relax and cool his jets at bit.

Then I took him out and put on his obedience collar and leash. Unfortunately, I must confess that I was not quite of sound mind and body this weekend and I forgot obedience clothes, so there I was trying to get him to focus on me while I am wearing a silver pants suit and silk scarf. Yeah I know it is hard to take any one serious when they are dressed like that.... But I was going to try.

We went to a "quiet" corner to try a couple of exercises, but trust me there were no quiet corners and the obedience ring was right next to the conformation rings, and a freight elevator. I tried to play to his strength and attempted one of his strongest moves a call front and finish left-- and honest to goodness, he looked at me like I was from mars. Okay, I said, "how about some fast heeling", he loves that and yep he did it like a pro until I halted and said sit. His response was clear, "Sit, I don't sit or down for that matter." So I put him away again and tried the same thing twice more. Each time got a wee bit better, but he still wouldn't sit or down on command, and I pulled him.

The message was quite clear to me that I must work with him in high distraction areas. So I think we will go off to a park next, and then a go at PetsMart.

I'll keep you up to date so that I stay honest!!!

No comments: