Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Day 1 Walk

Way back in the day--I baby sat my minister's water something dog, so I had a few early lessons in walking 3 dogs. The primary thing I remembered was to keep them out in front. So I said to myself, "Okay I can do this".

Before we set out, I did some sits and downs. Okay I have a modicum of control. Then the next question is how many bags does on take for 3 adult males? Hmmm--I take 5 for Music and Russ so 7 no maybe a few extras--9 bags. Yes 9 bags it is. We embark.

We aren't 25ft down the road, when Fred spots my neighbor. Now with Grandpa Fred and grandson Russ let's say the acorn doesn't fall far from the tree. Fred like Russ has decided I need to be protected from all evil--real and imagined. So Fred starts barking at my neighbor, Russ looks at him like "I don't get it", but if Grandpa says he's evil he must be. Now I have two Cardis barking at the neighbor. (Mind you this all happens in just a split second.) I assure everyone that the neighbor is friend.

Then my neighbor wants to pet the dogs. Remember my rule of keep them out in front, well before I knew it they were behind me and all 3 come between my legs with Russ in the lead. (Dang that obedience instructor for insisting that I teach him to run between my legs) Then they split and run back behind me again. It is an absolute wonder that I didn't end up face planted on the pavement. I untangle myself, keeping a tight hold on Fred because he has officially spotted the river and we set out again. (Ooops need bag 1)

About another 100 ft down the road, we encounter a jogger. Oh goody, Russ and joggers. Russ sits on command, as do the other 2, and the jogger thinks they are so cute. Yep you guessed it she wants to pet them. Okay this time I am smarter and keep them out front. (Ooops need bag 2)

We walk a bit further, everything is going great and I spot the neighborhood domestic white geese. Fantastic--couldn't they be swimming just once when we walk by. Three herding dogs and 5 white geese. I tell them to leave it, and we pass, except Fred makes a break for it. Ha I told him--I have been handling your grandson and I know your wicked ways. (Oops need bag 3, 4, 5)

We forge on Moose found a dead fish to roll in. He smells wonderful right now (Ooops need bags 6 & 7) Then Fred finds a mud puddle--he looks great with muddy feet. (need bag 8 and I am beginning to wonder if I have enough)

We stop for a water break under a big shade tree, and start home. We avoid the fish and the mud puddle, but the demented Min Pin out. The dog is barking like a hyena and Moose decides--Game On! I bark--Moose Down. He drops like a bag of feed. (Thank you Cindy for working him!) Of course though Moose just has to lay a pile in the dog's yard--that's bag 9.

The geese were in Mississippi when we walked by again, so the boys finished up the P-mail and I thought I was going to make it home without needing another bag when Russ stops. Tomorrow I am taking 12 bags, 2 water bottles, 1 dish, some snacks and a back pack!

Sorry folks no pictures--maybe when folks get home from work I can entice someone to take a picture.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't stop giggling, my office must think I'm on something. We need someone to follow you and video tape it.

Aren't you glad that you have the two that are the easiest to deal with? You could have Edweirdo:0) Let me know if they get to be too much for you or if Moose starts to smell too much-ewww dead fish.

Let's just say it takes a special person to survive living with those boys.

Sherilyn said...

ROFL!! I'm laughing so hard I'm crying, picturing the walk!
I can attest to walking more than 1or 2..anyone can do that. We had Moose and Edweirdo at Nationals, so between those 2 and Boo & Emmy, it was challenging, too.

But 3 or more, that takes talent! I can remember walking 4 through the show site a St. Paul last year...that's a task (the show site is nice, but you have to HIKE everywhere!) All the way through the rings and vendors to get back to where the grooming was, it was "Boo, leave it, Dreamy, no, Ruby, I said LEAVE IT!, Duchess do NOT sniff that Rotties butt, Boo, you either!" Rus was parking the Burb, as I thought it was nice he was dropping us off. Hmmmmmmmm...he had the long walk back, but I had the heathens to bring in. I'm not sure which one had the better deal there, do you??? hehe

Maybe we should buy you the baggies by the 100 count roll...that might last you a few walks? ;)

Have fun! This is good practice for your next 1 or 2 or 3 Corgis.

Sherilyn

Anonymous said...

Sherilyn--I can just see you and your cast of 4 walking into the show site. I'll never think of "dropping" someone off in the same way!