Sunday, April 20, 2008

Canine Good Citizenship

Okay folks, I have been sweating this one, but the little guy did it. He passed his Canine Good Citizenship test! Hip Hip Hooray!

When we turned in the initial paperwork he muled just walking up to the desk so my thought was well well well this should be interesting. But after a little play time while we were waiting, he waltzed into the ring like a cool cucumber. In order to get into the ring he walked past several dogs, so the evaluator took that as his reaction to other dogs.

He heeled, turned, stopped and heeled again. He fussed a little about the down command but responded within reason. Then came the stay portion. He was already down so the evaluator said try a down stay and if he doesn't stay put use your sit command. Of course he popped up like a jack rabbit from the down, but stayed beautifully in the sit/stay. He did a beautiful recall too.

Okay, the funny part, a baby let out a blood curdling scream that even startled the evaluator. Russ didn't even flinch. The evaluator complimented him on his composure. She had been dropping her clipboard and paperwork as a distraction, but she said he reacted well to the screaming child. I don't know for sure what Russ would have done with the dropped clipboard, but a baby crying now that is something that he is more than used to.

He walked through the crowd with grace, and then came the supervised separation. I handed the leash over and walked out of the room. I didn't have a watch so waited to be called back into the room. At about the right amount of time, they called for Kim so I went back in. Guess what--wrong Kim. So we had to do it again--but he was a trooper and did absolutely beautifully.

So now he has a CH before his name and a CGC after his name. I couldn't be prouder of my little puppy. Stayed tuned as we will announce soon our next obedience plans.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Let's see--new champion, CGC title and hummm, now ranked #19 in the breed!!!!!

Goodness, can you live with him at all?

Anonymous said...

Aunty Cindy, Thanks for everything. I am planning on driving my mom nuts for the next few days, but don't tell her. It's a surprise. She put away her winter shoes, so I picked a new favorite--new Nike slides! Ohhhh they are great because she has had them for many years or so I heard her say. Thanks again and please keep my secret.