Wednesday, April 23, 2008

The Great Corgi Escape


I am outside slogging my way through mowing the grass and over the lawn mower I hear bark bark bark. Now mind you I am in no mood for barking dogs as the ground is so saturated that I can't get the lawn tractor out or I would bury it. So I am literally slogging my way behind a walk behind. Now it is not my first choice to mow in these conditions, but I am the last suburbanite to mow and if I didn't get to it I would have to hire a cutter and bail the stuff. Paint my mood ugly! So I decide I would give it a couple of more minutes to stop before I ride my broom into the house.

Okay here's the picture, I have mud up to my earlobes and the last thing I want to do is go in the house. So I decide to go to the front yard and throw my best menacing face at Sara. If she quiets so will Russ. But what do my wondering eyes see but not just Sara at the front door but Russ too! Now I say to myself, how on earth did he get out of his crate?

So I trudged up the steps, take off my muddy sneakers and socks, and go in as far as the entry way reach for the dog towel. Now drying off with the dog towel is definitely a treat I want to repeat often--NOT. My mind is still trying to wrap an explanation around how the Corgi got out of the crate when I finally make my way to the family room.

Initial signs told me it was an outside job--apparently Sara had unzipped it just enough that Russ could wiggle his nose through the opening and split the zipper. Yesh! I reworked the zipper, stuffed the errant Corgi back in and found a clip to hold the two zippers together. Then I gave my very best, don't do that again look to Sara who promptly knew it was no time to mess with me and went upstairs to bed.

I finished the lawn and Russ was still in his crate. He was hopping mad about having to be crated for 3 hours, but trust me he'll live!

He seems to have recovered as he and Nick are romping through the house like demented children and dogs! Oh they make me laugh!

No comments: