Saturday, April 12, 2008

Weeding

Russ likes to be just like his Grandpa Fred. He recently heard that Grandpa Fred is also know as Farmer Fred, so today Russ tried his hand a farming. Now Russ is suburban Cardi so real farming has to wait until he visits Grandpa but for now he has taken up weeding.

In my mind this is a great development. Every spring I, like every suburban dweller, fight the likes of dandelions, crab grass, and various sprouts in my gardens and lawn. Today Russ took on the weeds in the shade garden with a vengeance. He pulled up at least a dozen voluntary sprouts from a Hawthorne tree we had removed a couple of years ago. That Hawthorne tree was and continues to be the bane of my gardening existence what with its stupid thorns poking holes in my lawn tractor tires and cutting my hands, so I was cheering my energetic farmer on.

Now let's hope I can teach him about the difference between weeds and daffodils.

No comments: