Wednesday, March 5, 2008

How much mud can one Corgi hide?


The ice finally melted enough that Russ and I decided a walk was possible. So off we went to the bike path, and we had a grand adventure. So much for an inquisitive Corgi to see, smell and unfortunately taste.

He chased Mallards, climbed on huge blocks of ice cast a shore by the forces of nature, picked up sticks twice his size and toted them around like the big dog he is. He rolled in mud left behind by the receding water, and would have gone swimming in the creek had I not had 20 ft of lead attached to his collar. He became reacquainted with grass, although he still refuses to do any business unless it is in a big pile of snow. (Memo to self--spring will be a challenge if this keeps up) All in all he was having the time of his life.

But all good things must end and I was getting tired--trust me he wasn't but I insisted we head home. As my friend and I approached our house I realize that my Corgi no longer looked like a brindle but rather mud with a hint of white would best describe him. I knew in that instant that the "doggie" towel was not going to be enough.

So after using every square inch of the doggie towel, I told Russ to "stay," said a silent prayer that he remembered his obedience work, and dashed up the stairs retrieved a towel and ran back downstairs to find my wonderful, albeit muddy, dog waiting by the front door. Yeah! I finished wiping him down and did a quick once over and pronounced him clean enough to wander through the house.

What a mistake! He was hiding mud in mysterious places because every where I looked was a muddy splash--kitchen floor, dining room, leather couches, bathroom. How much mud can one Corgi hide?

No comments: