Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Russ Goes Swimming


Russ and I were out on a very nice walk today and he was being so well behaved I decided to stop at his favorite "beach". Well actually it is a sandy area next to the creek and he loves to romp and find hidden stuff in the sand. I have been very clear that the creek is off limits, and he has respected this boundary. Until today...

So we stop at the "beach" and he is running, turning, digging and generally having a wee of a good time. All of a sudden he gets a wild hair, and literally takes a flying leap and belly flops in the creek. It was 54degrees and the water was COLD! I call to him to get his sorry self out of the water but I got the Corgi finger, and it was very clear that he wasn't coming out until he was a Corgisicle. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I laughed until I realized I was going to have to go in after him.

Did I say it was 54? Well 54 feels good in jeans and a sweatshirt, but shoeless, sockless with my pants rolled up above my knees was pretty chilly. I wade in after the little bugger--stones killing my nearly frozen feet, but hey it's all in a day with a Cardi puppy, right? I retrieve the Corgi who is none to happy about being forcibly removed from the water and make my way back to shore.

Russ shakes off the cold water while I put shoes and socks back on and we head for home. Now he is a herding dog with a typical herder attitude so he is fine, but me I am cold, wet and cranky. And I know that the minute we get home, I have to give him a bath because he is beyond being a mess! Did I mention that he rolled in the sand after I took him out of the water?

He hates being bathed so in my mind this is sweet revenge, but he loves being clean. The movies were taken during his celebratory laps around the house following his bath. (Sorry no pictures from the swimming expedition--forgot the camera and even if I did have it with me, I was a little busy trying not to go swimming myself!) (3/13/07 I added a picture of Russ at the beach taken several days ago)




No comments: