Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Last night a star... tonight fishy


We are getting ready to go to the National Cardigan Corgi show, so preparations include getting the RV ready. The RV lives at our river house, so Russ, Kathy and I headed to the river to charge batteries, run the generator, and generally see what all would be needed before we head south.

So Russ is frolicking and playing in the side yard when I notice him rolling in something while chewing some foreign object. Without missing a beat, I say, "leave it" and he drop the object. By this time I am standing next to him and realize he was chewing on part of a fish and what he was rolling in was the rest of the dead yucky fish. Completely grossed out--I promised him that his days of kissing me are over until he learns how to rinse with Listerine!

Now you might be wondering how a fish got in our side yard. A good question. Here's the deal--sometime in January bald eagles arrive in our pool of the Mississippi River, and stay until the northern waters are ice free. Eagles are exclusively fish eaters. Once they snare a fish with their amazing talons, they fly up to the trees to eat the squirming very much alive fish. Sometimes they lose the fish and it ends up---yep you guessed it on the residential yards. So my cute little corgi found one dropped fish. Still gross and Russ will not be licking me until his teeth get a good brushing. Fortunately he likes beef flavored toothpaste.

No comments: